German Style Soured Liver
This is an original Snug Valley Farm recipe and ??????? Uses cow's liver but also yummy made with pig's liver?????????
Author: Snug Valley Farm
Recipe for: BEEF
Cut of Meat: Beef Liver
- One - 1 ½ lbs liver cut into small pieces ( approx 1” by ½”)
- Shortening or butter
- ½ Cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Cup red wine
- Bay leaf
- Salt & pepper
- Fresh parsley (good handful, chopped)
- Basil, fresh or dried (approx ¾ teaspoons)
- One whole clove
- One teaspoon dried Rosemary
- One teaspoon dried Sage
- 1 to 1 ½ cups Durkee’s Brown Gravy Mix (or your own base sauce & thickening method, such as with Corn Starch or flour)
- Heat veggie oil (shortening or butter) in Dutch oven
- and brown the liver pieces, very quickly. Remove and set aside.
- Add ½ to 1 cup of water, scraping the drippings while heating. Then add ½ cup red wine vinegar and the cup of red wine. Heat and stir, while adding the spices (you may add s & p to taste later).
- Return meat to the sauce and heat gently, simmering for approximately 30 min maximum. You do not want to overcook the liver: it should be soft & juicy, so keep checking!
- Meanwhile, prepare the brown gravy mix (or some brown gravy that you have saved from another meal or a brown base sauce that just needs to be thickened and then added to the pot. Heat thoroughly under low heat.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Serve over mashed potatoes. (make plenty, because whether they like or not the liver itself, they will love the gravy over the potatoes!)