Beef Jerky - oven baked
This beef jerky recipe was shared by Tom Cantwell. Tom dries the jerky in the oven, so this recipe does not require any special equipment. For a lean jerky, make this with Snug Valley Farm's grass-fed round or flank steak.
Author: Snug Valley Farm
Recipe for: GRASS-FED BEEF
Cut of Meat: Round or Flank Steak
- 1 lb Very lean round or flank steak
- 4 Tablespoons Soy sauce
- 4 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Ketchup
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper (use more pepper for hotter jerky)
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon Onion salt
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Remove fat from the meat and place in a freezer. When semi-frozen, it is easily cut into ⅜ or ¼ inch strips (the thinner the slices, the faster the drying). Note: meat cut with the grain will be chewy, against the grain, tender.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add the meat and marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Remove from refrigerator and drain in a colander. Place meat on cookie sheets to dry. For faster drying, do not overlap meat and turn at least once during drying.
- Dry in 200 degree oven for 4 hours on cookie sheets. It is ready when it bends like a green willow without breaking.
- Refrigerate for long term storage.